S.N.D.T.College of Arts & S.C.B.College of Commerce & Science for Women enjoys the status of being the first conducted college of S.N.D.T Women’s University. Since its inception in 1931, the college has remained a symbol of excellence in higher education for women. The college began with an enrolment of only four students at the Kanyashala at Girgaon and slowly became a regular, full-time college. Today the college offers B.A degree in 5 languages, 6 Social Science subjects, Bachelors in Visual Art, Music and a graduate degree in Commerce. Vocational Courses in Travel and Tourism and Computer Applications are also offered. The college also conducts certificate courses in Light Music and a Para-professional Training Course on Education of Visually Impaired Children. It also has self-financing programmes of B.Sc.IT and B.M.S degree. We also have Junior College with Arts & Commerce faculties. The medium of instruction at the Junior College and Senior College level is English, Gujarati, and Marathi.
The college is equipped with modern amenities to facilitate the best in higher education. Besides academics, the college gives importance to co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. Our students have consistently performed at various national and international sports competitions, theatre and cultural events. We have had a history of active and committed units of National Service Scheme (NSS) and National Cadet Corps (NCC). The college is centrally located with easy access from both Churchgate Railway Station on the western side and C.S.T. on the Central and Harbour Railway lines.
SNDT College of Arts and SCB College of Commerce and Science For Women, the first conducted College in Mumbai of SNDT Women’s University, was established in 1931 in an effort to fulfill the dream of its Founding Father, the great visionary, Bharat Ratna Dhondo Keshav Karve(1858-1962), of empowering women through education. Karve established an ashram for widows and school for girls at Hingne, a village near Pune in 1896. This institution became a stepping-stone for our University. It was first named as Indian Women’s University. In 1916, Sir Vithaldas Thackersey, made a contribution of Rupees fifteen lacs to commemorate the memory of his mother Smt. Nathibai, and thus the University was named as Smt. Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University in 1920. Since then the university has educated generations of women and fulfilled their aspirations.
Empowering women to contribute towards an inclusive society that promotes and protects the dignity, equality, social justice and human rights for all.
The college is committed to the cause of women’s empowerment through access to higher education. We offer a wide range of professional and vocational courses for women to meet the changing socio-economic needs, with human values and purposeful social responsibility and to achieve excellence with “Quality in every Activity”
• Provide access to higher education for women
• Provide a wide range of professional and vocational courses for women to meet the socio-economic demands.
• • Inculcate among women positive self- concept, awareness of women's issues and rights with a rational outlook towards society.
• Enhance purposeful education with 'human values' and social responsibility by participating in outreach programmes.
• Achieve excellence in the academic disciplines, research and extension activities through emphasis on 'quality in every activity'.
“Sanskrita Stree Parashakti”, meaning ‘An enlightened woman is a source of infinite strength’, aptly encapsulates the vision of Maharshi Karve to build a citadel of learning for women. The College, for over nine decades, has been striving hard to translate this motto into reality.